What is a Goal?
Goals are the accomplishment you're aiming toward. Goals are characterized by:
- S = Specificity
- M = Measurability
- A = Attainability
- R = Realistic yet Challenging
- T = Time Constraints
This year, Russ and I set goals related to our health. I'm happy to say that we've had to re-do them going on 3 times... because we keep surprising ourselves, by ACHIEVING them! Had we not sat down and written them out, we would never have realized the accomplishment. Therefore,
The Benefits of Setting Goals
- You can see where you're going, where you've been, and how long it took you to get there
- Great for your mojo! It feels good to accomplish something.
- Keeps you on track
- Gives you a "raison d'etre" (reason for being)
- Bragging rights!
I won't ignore the downside: What if you don't hit your goal? Won't this damage your ego? Well, yes and no... yes, if you let it. But if you choose to let it teach you something about yourself, including causing you to adjust it to something slightly more realistic, or makes you even more determined, then it is a win.
My Challenge to You
- Set a goal
- Write it down
- Post it somewhere you see it everyday
- Tell someone else about it
- Have them help by keeping you accountable (be willing to take the kick in the pants from them)
- Take systematic measurements toward it (map your progress)
Do it now, and you'll be 2+ months in by New Years!